Thursday 30 June 2016

Prominent Opposition Leader Habtamu Ayalew is In Critical Condition

Habtamu Ayalew was known to the public as a young, charismatic and articulate opposition leader of the former Andenet Party. He was chief of the Public Relations of Andenet when he was thrown into prison and faced terrorism charges. During his prison time from July 8, 2014 to February 16, 2016, Habtamu endured a severe form of torture whose details would be too graphic to write it down here. Nonetheless, the once robust activist was subjected to severe forms of torture he became a patient who needs the support of others whether to sit or stand. He began to suffer from hemorrhoids and kidney stones. Doctors have privately told Habtamu that his case is critical and needs treatment overseas.

Here's a short summary of what Habtam Ayalew said during an interview with Habtamu Assefa, host of Hiber Radio.

"My condition during the first four months of my imprisonment was awful. I would say the worst form of degrading punishment is to deny a fellow human being the right to use the toilet. "I was denied the twice-a-day, 10-minute break to use the toilet."
So, if any person is denied to respond to nature's call, what can one do? When other inmates were out to use the toilet, I use a plastic bag to relieve myself. Severe constipation coupled with the pain of being denied to use the toilet resulted in tearing up my blood veins.
"My legs were numb from sleeping on very cold floors for a long time. So, I couldn't sit on my feet by myself. I needed the support of other inmates. That lasted four painful months
"I preferred to eat very small amount of food only for the sake of survival. However, I was severely constipated, resulting in first-degree hemorrhoids which, in the shortest time, degenerated into third-degree hemorrhoids (where punctured veins ooze blood).
"While the hemorrhoids pain prevents me from standing or sitting, the kidney stone pain deprives me to sleep on my side."

Doctors have told Habtamu to seek treatment overseas because he was suffering from 4th degree hemorrhoids for which surgery could be painful and prolonged if done in Ethiopia.

To help cover the huge medical bills and as a show of solidarity with Habtamu, activists among the Ethiopian diaspora recently raised about $20,000 online.

Right at this moment a social media campaign has been launched demanding for Habtamu travel ban to be lifted and to enable him get a medication.

0 comments:

Post a Comment